Thursday, September 22, 2011

IT'S A BIG BOAT

I thought I was in a little row boat lost in rough seas – all alone – no life jacket. I felt like I was sinking in my disappointment and despair and it was only a matter of time before I was drowning in all those rejections BUT then I read some blogs and got a few emails. I’m not in a little row boat at all; I’m on an ocean liner! There are a lot of us in the same boat.

There are many writers expressing my own concerns:- the amount of rejections must be some kind of record, long time between acceptances, I’m feeling inspired and think I’m writing well but not a crumb of good news or a hint of some hope.

I am finding that reading how other writers deal with rejection is motivating – even the simple fact that other writers experience rejection and go through the emotions of being deflated as they question their abilities and wonder whether they will ever sell another piece of writing is comforting to me (to know I am not alone) and makes me more aware that rejection is part of the process of writing – perhaps it is what sorts out the real writers from the wannabes? I’m thinking rejection is what makes us question how we can do things better and eventually this is what makes us become better writers.

So if it’s been a long time between published stories climb on board, and as we cruise along we will become better writers and sometime soon that island of acceptance will appear on the horizon.

Keep on writing….

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Diane, and so true! And we need to keep writing and sending work out to get there in the end. You might be interested in the free online writing conference my other Canadian publisher is running in October. You have to register by Sunday - link is on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Diane. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will drop anchour on the shores of Acceptance Island.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for your comment Rosemary. I will go over and check out that link on your blog.

    Thanks Gavin :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your metaphor, Diane although for me it feels like a long time between drinks of water. It helps me to think that it doesn't matter if I get published or not - I'm still living my dream of being able to write. That way I focus on the writing rather than the rejection. Also, I try to imagine sending my writing out into the world like a message in a bottle and not to expect a response. I just keep sending it out. It helps sometimes (but not always.)

    Thanks for your blog. It helps too.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. How true, Diane.

    I sometimes feel like the ancient mariner. All alone on a sea of silence. Why does it take so long for editors to reply? The rejections, when they come, are almost welcome - if only to re-assure me that I am not forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon - I like the way you think. Thanks for leaving a comment.

    Gail - I do know what you mean about the rejections - gave me a giggle. I've been reading a lot of published stories from the UK mags because I am so determined to break that market and get an acceptance overseas. I'll be over the moon to get a 'yes' for one short story at the moment. As for here in Australia I used to get into That's Life but even that's been very quiet for me. I'm figuring keep on writing, keep on submitting and eventually I'll get that acceptance - that's the plan anyway. Hopefully soon I will be writing a post titled 'Land Ahoy' and sharing some good news for a change!

    ReplyDelete